OWL is a national, grassroots organization that focuses on improving the status and quality of life for women 40+.
OWL believes in empowering women through education and advocacy. From our founding, we have been committed to keeping the following issues at the forefront of state and national policy agendas:
Promoting Women’s Health
OWL recognizes that women over 40 have unique health concerns. We support publicly and privately funded research to further the understanding of these conditions and to reduce associated risks. For example:
In 2012, OWL released the results of a survey measuring the American public’s understanding of menopause. The research, which was sponsored by Pfizer, identified startling gaps in both public awareness and educational resources. In fact, nearly a quarter of female respondents between the ages of 30 and 44 reported having more information about the symptoms and treatments for erectile dysfunction (ED) than menopause. OWL used these survey results in urging members of Congress to make menopause education a priority in health policy agendas.
In 2011, OWL joined American Bone Health and the Global Healthy Living Foundation in supporting Emmy® and Tony® award-winning actress Blythe Danner and Amgen Pharmaceuticals in the “Act 2 Reduce Fractures” campaign to raise awareness of postmenopausal osteoporosis.
Coalitions and Outreach
OWL knows that collaborations are critical to success. We work with a range of organizations, including:
• Center for Non Profit Advancement
• Compassion & Choices Campaign to End Unwanted Medical Treatment
• Independent Sector
• Leadership Council of Aging Organizations
• Leaders Engaged on Alzheimer’s Disease (LEAD)
• National Academy of Social Insurance
• National Alliance of Caregiving
• National Bone Health Alliance
• National Committee on Pay Equity
• National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare
• National Coalition on Mental Health & Aging
• National Council of Women’s Organizations Older Women’s Economic Security Task
• National Voter’s Registration Day
• National Women’s History Museum
• National Women’s Law Center Health Task Force
• No Labels
• Stop Obesity Alliance
• Strengthen Social Security Coalition
For an overview of our sign-on letters, please click here.